Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Looks Can Be Deceiving


Yesterday I went into the bank located in the office building where I work to deposit a check for the martial arts classes I'd taught. I handed over the deposit slip and the check itself, and then started watching the television screen behind the teller. After a minute, the teller looks up at me.

"Do you teach martial arts?" she asked, looking slightly skeptical.

It took me a minute to realize it was because she saw my check that she knew I taught classes. I just nodded and replied, "Yeah."

The teller nodded her head, still looking unconvinced.

"You just look too little to be doing stuff like that," she stated as she went back to processing my check.

Too little? And too little to be doing what? Teaching, or martial arts?

I had no reply. The other teller chimed in:

"Well, at least it's good to always look younger than you really are!"

I nodded.

"Exactly," I replied as I took my receipt and left the bank.

I can't remember if I had been wearing my teal jacket or if I had left it up in my cube. I guess not a lot of business folks wear teal jackets. Maybe colorful attire = kid?

...Or maybe it's just me.

2 comments: