Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Worst Night Ever


Many people can claim, "That was the worst day ever!" or "I have never felt so sick in my life!" Often times, they don't really mean that it was the worst day of their lives, or that they've never felt sicker. Really, the expression is merely used to describe that they had a miserable experience. However, there are times when one really does mean that it was the worst experience of their lives. Last fall, there was one night that I can safely describe as "the worst night of my life." (Although there is a close second.)

Before I start with the story, however, I am using a new naming scheme for all of the people [characters] in my blog. Just giving a fake real name just doesn't seem to go with the flow of the Little Scarf Girl blog. So, I will be giving everyone a relatively cute or amusing nicknam
e. I'm sure my friends will love that. (Please don't kill me!)

Martial Arts Guy, my martial arts instructor, was going to teach the weekly college class that I usually taught. It was the first time he would be visiting my college club, so I was very excited. Along with him, a few others from our martial arts group would be coming. These included myself, Little Scarf Girl, my sister, Mountain Dew Girl, my boyfriend, Random Knowledge Boy, his brother, Mr. Model Boy, and Vitaman, their roommate. There were several other friends of ours present, as well as many club members. It looked to be a promising workout.

Everyone was stretching out before class on the matted floors. Martial Arts Guy was just about to start class when he noticed that Mr. Model Boy was lying on his back on the ground, not moving. He went to go help him up when it became apparent that Mr. Model Boy could not get up, or move his back at all. Somehow during the stretched, he had injured himself. Random
Knowledge Boy helped his brother to the back of the room while Martial Arts Guy started class. I found myself a little bit distracted, and unable to concentrate given the circumstances. Halfway through the class, an ambulance had to be called for Mr. Model Boy!

When class was finally over, our group of friends headed over to the emergency room (which was thankfully right down the road from the college), where Random Knowledge Boy and Mr. Model Boy were in the waiting room. Mr. Model Boy was in a wheelchair, so the rest of us grabbed seats beside him in the chairs. It looked like it was going to be a long wait, so another friend, Lightning Bolt Boy, went to get some food for everyone. Mr. Model Boy was characteristically upbeat about it all, and everyone was laughing and joking to pass the time. Looking back on this, I'm sure the other emergency room patients thought we were very strange.

Around 10:00, after nearly four hours of waiting, Mountain Dew Girl and I left to take Vitaman. (He had gotten a ride with Mr. Model Boy to the college, and obviously he wasn't going to be driving anytime soon.) I got a call from Random Knowledge Boy around 10:30 saying that they had finally been seen, and that Mr. Model Boy was going to be okay.

This was good news. It had been a hectic evening, but everything was going to be just fine.

And then we got a call from our parents saying that our grandparents had been in a car accident. Everyone was okay, but they were sent to the emergency room...at the same hospital we had just been at with Mr. Model Boy!

It was at this point I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to cry.

I actually did neither one, and proceeded to drive back to the emergency room and wait with my grandparents. My grandfather had broken his shoulder, so they needed to have tests and x-rays done. This lasted from about 11:00 at night to 6:00 in the morning! All night we had to stay awake, waiting in either the tiny examination room, or as I did, out in the hall watching for the nurses in case they had some new information for us. (Such as, "Everything's done, you can go!" This, sadly, did not come in a very timely manner.) This wait was much longer, and full of far less jokes than our wait with all of our friends earlier on.

By the time we got back home, we were exhausted. But thankfully, both my grandparents and Mr. Model Boy were just fine.

Mountain Dew Girl and I sometimes tell of our epic ER wait. It turns out not be a very funny story. But it is a very coincidental story. The kind of coincidence that you hope never happens, or if it does, you hope dearly that it never happens again. But I can safely say that was definitely the worst night of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Oukay, I love your names for characters. xD
    And it actually feels like a lovely little adventure. Although Poor Model Boy, I want to hug him.

    ReplyDelete