Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Popcorn List

I have seen a movie a week since the start of May! I figured I should give some sort of review for four of the bigger films that have been released so far this summer. Spoiler-free!

X-men Origins: Wolverine: Let me start off by saying I am a huge X-men fan. The first two movies are among my favorites, and X-men: Evolution remains one of my favorite cartoon shows. You all know the
story behind the third X-men movie, but even given the fond memory of its viewing, I will never watch that movie again. I dearly hoped that Wolverine would be a chance for the series to redeem itself, and while it wasn't a bad movie, I can't really say that it did much for me. Really, my overall feeling was, "I didn't mind it." I really had no strong feelings one way or another. It was just "okay," and for being such a big fan of the first two movies, that was a bit of a disappointment. If you like Wolverine, Sabertooth, or flashy fight scenes, then by all means, check it out. If not, I think it's only really worth one viewing, even for fans, and not necessarily in the theaters. (And this is coming from someone who has watched the first two movies more times than she can remember!)

Star Trek: My Trek knowledge is limited to exposure to a handful of Next Generation and Enterprise episodes, and one movie. Therefore, having no knowledge of the original series, I watched the movie as a standalone. It was a very fun sci-fi action movie. I had Random Knowledge Boy whispering to me explaining the in-jokes, so I'm sure there were plenty of goodies for the fans, as well as the newbies. I recommend it if you like adventure movies or sci-fi movies of any sort. Similar to a super hero movie, but without super powers. (Although there are some slick fighting sequences.)

Terminator Salvation: I'm not the world's biggest Terminator fan. In fact, the only reason I watched Terminator and T2 is because Guitar Player Boy forced me to. I have only seen parts of T3. Therefore, what drew me to this movie was the fact that it did not look like a typical Terminator flick. And it isn't. It plays out a lot more like a action movie taking place in a futuristic war zone. The underlying Terminator theme is there, but it isn't so much about one super powerful machine trying to kill one person as it is about the war as a whole. I recommend it for any Terminator fans, or anyone who likes gritty action films. There's next to no humor, but the fight scenes are cool, and the robots are creepy.

Up: It's a Disney/Pixar film, and there's a talking dog who is distracted by squirrels. That's enough to go see it right there, but really, it's a great film. It made me laugh, it
made me cry. (But I laughed a lot more than I cried, I promise!) It made me go "Aww!" In short, it was wonderful. I recommend it for anyone, but it carries a tissue warning!

1 comment: