Friday, June 4, 2010

References

Is it bad that I get excited at references to other media and/or pop culture in the things I watch and read? Especially if I seem to be the only one who notices them? (Or perhaps the bad part is that I actually pick up on these references in the first place...)

For instance, I've been on a big Batman kick as of late. I took an interest in the character of Robin/Dick Grayson/Nightwing, and have been watching my fill of Batman animated programs that contain his character. (I think this may be the first time I've watched multiple shows at the same time. I'm currently viewing Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Teen Titans, and The Batman.) My interest in the Batman-verse will come up again in another entry, I'm sure.

But anyway, I was watching the episode "Breakout" of The Batman, one of the more recent Batman animated shows. The episode featured the villain Black Mask attempting to detonate a bomb in Gotham City. To do so, he needed to enter a series of numbers into a computer to initiate the sequence. He entered most of the code before Batman threw a Batarang into the computer, causing the screen to go out. Nothing unusual there, right? Batman stops the destruction of the city, and Black Mask will most-likely need to plan a trip to Best Buy to get a new computer.

Hm...let's take a look at the numbers that Black Mask was entering.



Look familiar? Look sort of like the start of the infamous number series from the popular TV show LOST?


Yes indeed! The Batman had a LOST reference. I can't help but be terribly amused by that.

And speaking of LOST references, perhaps I just have the series fresh in my mind, but when I was reading the chapter one excerpt on the library's page of the Batman No Man's Land novel, I noticed the two boy's names: Nicky and Paolo. Maybe I just have LOST on the brain, but I immediately thought of Nikki and Paulo, the non-so-popular background survivor duo from season 3. Coincidence? While the Black Mask firing codes are way too specific not to be a direct reference, this one probably is merely coincidence. But it's still funny, nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment