Thursday, September 16, 2010

Druggie Music


My sister, Mountain Dew Girl, announced one day that I liked "druggie music."

Now, MD Girl is your typical college girl when it comes to her tastes in music. She likes the rock bands, Nickleback, 3 Days Grace, Linkin Park, and the pop girls, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and the like. Now, I like most of those things, too. But my taste in music veers a little more toward "80's Synth/Pop" and "New Age" stuff.

If you look a list of my favorite artists/songs:

Depeche Mode
Tears for Fears
Nirvana
When in Rome's - "The Promise"
Snow Patrol
Enya's - "Orinocco Flow"
Butthole Surfer's - "Pepper"
New Order
OMD
Ultravox's - "Vienna"
Cyndi Lauper's - "Time After Time"

I'm not sure if "druggie" is quite the word for it. Or maybe it is. I can see Nirvana's music and "Pepper" being put into that "druggie" catagory. But personally, I just like some music that has interesting lyrics, a good, sort of mellow or gloomy tune, and something that I can either pay attention to, or put a story to in my head.

Now, when I went to my dad and complained that I needed some new music, and explained that MD Girl thought I liked druggie music, I was sure he'd say, "Well that's not druggie music!" After all, a lot of this stuff (Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, etc) were things he introduced me to. However, as he went through his list of music and recommended some new titles for me, he'd say things like, "Well, this one is sort-of druggie..." as if that were what I were looking for!

Not quite, dad. Not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment