Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Popcorn List 3

And now it's time for the winter edition of ... The Popcorn List!

Easy A - I liked this one. I went to see it with Mountain Dew Girl and Coca Cola Girl ... I think. It wasn't nearly as funny as I expected, though. It's more of a drama, with some funny moments thrown in. I did particularly like the scene where the main character and her gay buddy are jumping up and down on the bed and banging on the walls to make it sound like they're getting it on, haha.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - This movie was okay. Nothing special, but the overall plot was uplifting, and there were some amusing moments between the characters. Some of it was a little depressing, though, given that they're in a mental ward, of course.

Paranormal Activity 2 - I really liked the first Paranormal Activity. It was spooky enough to have me clinging to my friend's arm everytime the couple went to sleep. This movie is a bit of a prequel and a sequel, and is better than the first one on pretty much every level. There are a lot of jump scenes, the plot was good, and the characters were relatable. On one hand I'd love to see another one of these, but on the other hand, the two movies right now are so good as just a pair I'm not sure I want the series to possibly be brought down by another inevitable installment.

Due Date - This one I went to see late one evening with Mountain Dew Girl and a few friends. It was a lot of fun, and had plenty of laughs. Not as many laughs as "The Hangover," but still a lot of laughs. I thought the Ethan character was really pretty obnoxious and over-the-top, and pretty much understood why Peter was so uptight. I think I would be, too. But it ended well, and it entertained, so I guess that's all that matters!

Harry Potter 7 Part 1 - I'm so used to the usual routine of Harry Potter movies that this one was a real depart from that past installments. It's usually, Harry, Ron, and Hermione go to Hogwarts, find some sort of mystery, involve some other people, battle, win, and go home happy. This one spends the majority of it with the three heroes on the run. It's dark, depressing, and the characters almost have no idea where to go next, resorting to arguing and splitting up for a good portion of the film. Characters die right and left, and you know it's only going to get worse before it gets better in the next film. Still, a good movie in it's own right. It's just not really "Harry Potter Magical."

Tangled - I loved this film. Even though it was in CGI, I thought the characters were great and the story was fun and engaging. The songs weren't anything special, but it was nice to have a Disney movie that felt ... well ... Disney-ish! The last Disney film I remember seeing at the theaters was Bolt, and while it was cute, it really didn't feel as timeless as some of the older Disney classics.


Burlesque - The costumes and singing were great. Characters and plot were paper thin and almost nonexistent. See this if you like stage productions or musicals only. There honestly wasn't a single problem in the movie that didn't get solved within ten minutes of the characters really focusing on it.

Tron Legacy - While this movie was good, it wasn't quite my cup of tea. There was a lot of cool sci-fi stuff, and I did love the scene in the beginning where the main character turns back on the old arcade, and "Separate Ways" by Journey starts blaring out the speakers. Very 80s. The plot was fine, although I wish Tron himself had a little bit more to do with the plot. I feel like he was mentioned once, and then just showed up randomly at the end.

The Green Hornet - I went to see this movie with high hopes for my birthday, and was sorely disappointed. The guy playing Kato was cool, but the plot was really bad, and the characters didn't seem heroic in the least. And when the solution to losing the evidence against the bad guy is, "Let's just shove the bad guy out the window with our car!" you have to think that maybe we shouldn't be rooting for the "heroes" after all.

Justin Bieber Never Say Never - The only thing I can say is that I got my ticket for $4.50 by going to a non-mall theater on a Monday evening. I was forced into seeing it by Mountain Dew Girl and her friends. The movie was a documentary, with lots of music, about Justin Bieber, obviously. I learned a lot about him, but honestly, I wasn't really that interested in the first place. Not to mention, at 1 hour and 40 minutes, the movie was way too long for my tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment